Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ingenious Ideas, Part 1


When I was getting things ready for Mystery Stole 4 I realized that, once again, I was going to have to talk the Husband or one of the grandchildren into lending a pair of arms so that I could wind the skeins into balls. But then I ran across this link to instructions for making a yarn swift from Tinker Toy pieces.

It took about 5 minutes to build and it actually works! Thanks, Crafting Jen. You just saved me a lot of money.

It turned a skein of Knit Picks Shadow (Oregon Coast colorway) into a ball of ready-to-knit yarn in a little over 5 minutes.

I was afraid that if I pulled too hard the yarn would stretch so, instead of allowing it to turn due to my pulling, I put the whole thing on the floor and gave it a boost with my foot whenever it slowed down.

Later on I found a photo showing this apparatus with the yarn winding around an empty toilet paper roll. No instructions on how to accomplish this, but I'm going to see if I can figure it out with the next skein. Probably tomorrow, if the grandchildren come over. I may need their help.

No comments: