Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wal-Mart Doesn’t Do Fabric

I rarely stop at Wal-Mart except when we are traveling.  Probably because our town only has a Target and that’s what I’m used to.  But I was in Gilroy for a Dr. appointment and needed wanted some fabric, so I thought I might be able to find something reasonable there.  Big disappointment – they no longer have a fabric department.  According to the salesclerk I talked to, it was a big money-loser for them.

However, the trip wasn’t wasted because, as I was walking through the garden section looking for onion sets, I spotted these:

late January 011 

I’ve always wanted to try growing potatoes and last year I bought a potato-growing bag from Gardener’s Supply but didn’t get around to using it.  I’ve never seen seed potatoes around here and thought I would have to just cut up a grocery store potato.

late January 012

I also found the onions.  I’ll start planting them next week if the rains hold off.  We’ve had several inches of rain in the last ten days with more expected in the next few days so we are pretty soggy around here.  Not to mention the weeds are thigh-high.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

We lost both the Ben Franklin and the fabric section in Pamida (like a down-market walmart), so now it's either the quilt store, or drive to Bozeman. And I'm jealous you're planting already! We're warming up, but still frozen. I do miss spring in NoCal ... the fruit trees, and that general greening up is so beautiful.