Thursday, September 14, 2017

Strange Winds in the Night


The other night, about 3am or so, my bedroom door started rattling, enough to wake me up.  I realized that it was very windy, something that never happens at night around here unless we are having a winter storm.  And in that case I would have all the windows closed.  Still too warm in the house to close windows, so I propped the door open and went back to sleep.  The next day I mentioned it to the son and he sent me this link explaining the phenomenon:

Middle of the night

The last couple of weeks have been unusual, weatherwise.  First we had several days of near-100 degree heat with fairly warm nights.  I even took to washing dishes by hand because I didn't want to heat up the kitchen with the dishwasher.  Then it cooled off somewhat but the humidity was 40 to 50% which is really high for us.  Then we had predictions for a couple of days of thunder and lightning and maybe some rain.  No rain here but we did hear a bit of thunder one afternoon.  That was supposed to be over day before yesterday but this morning we had enough rain to wet the patio and sidewalks, again unusual for us in September. Today is mild and the wind came up about mid-day which is the norm.

No comments: