Monday, August 31, 2009

Days 5-7: Alma AR

After visiting some family graves in Red Oak Cemetery, we drove north to Laurel Land Cemetery to visit the graves of The Husband’s mother and step-father. 
Laurel Land Cemetery
This is a huge cemetery and we haven’t been here since October 2001 but TH went straight to the right area.  He must have a fantastic sense of direction because he is able to do this all the time.  To me, every row looks pretty much the same.
It rained a bit last night and today is cloudy and promises to be humid.  But we are headed north to visit my brother in Arkansas.  I haven’t seen him for about 15 years and I’m really looking forward to seeing him again.
We stopped for lunch in Atoka, OK at a new restaurant called Adam’s Grill.  It isn’t actually open yet but the woman planting flowers by the front door says, “Come on in.  The cook needs the practice!”  We ordered hamburgers and fries; the fries were a little soggy but the burgers were really, really good.  I think they need to crank up the heat on the french fry oil. I think they’ll do okay, though, as they are on Highway 71 which is a pretty busy road.  The address is 807 S. Mississippi Street.  They also plan to have free wi-fi, which is always a draw.
Alma mural
Mural in downtown Alma, Arkansas
RJ 011
The view from the patio.  So bucolic with the two horses in the green pasture and the pond in the background.  You just don’t get this in our part of California.
The GPS took us straight to my brother’s house even though it’s pretty far out in the country.  Brother and Sister-in-law made us feel so welcome, it was like we’ve been seeing them all the time.
On Saturday afternoon, my two nieces came over for dinner.  It was the first time I’ve seen them since they were quite small and we spent Christmas at my Dad’s house in Paradise, CA.  The younger sister is married with two little girls of her own.  The little one is five and just starting kindergarten as is my GS.  When she was asked how she likes school, she did a thumbs up.  The funny thing is that’s the same thing GS did when he was asked the same question. Must be some kind of 5-year old code.
My nieces seem quite interested in the family history, although they only know about the Arthur Harper line.  So I’ve decided to write something up for them about the Lamb and Trott lines as well.  I tried to tell them about Walter Harper and the Aunt Frances letters, but I got so emotional that I couldn’t talk.  Old age seems to have had that effect on me.  I get all choked up so easily. Of course this is such a sad story that it would probably reduce anyone to tears.
Brother had to leave on Sunday for a job in California, so S-i-L took us sightseeing in the Fort Smith area. 
Larry 002
Downtown Alma, Arkansas. 
Spinach Capital of America/The World
Larry 014
S-i-L is in the Master Gardener program and these herb beds at an historic house in Fort Smith are her project. 
Larry 018
The labyrinth at St. Scholastica’s in Fort Smith.  I’ve always wanted to walk a labyrinth but this was my first opportunity.  It took a lot of concentration as the paths are pretty narrow.  And when we got to the center, we discovered that we would have to retrace our footsteps to get out again.  Since it took us a good 15 minutes, and it was a somewhat humid day, we decided to just walk straight out.  Is a half-labyrinth as good as a whole?

No comments: