Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Green Beans for Dinner


This was our green bean planting on July 7. The plants were racing towards the top of the trellis but there was no sign of any beans. Every day I would go out and search with no results. When they made it to the top and there were still no blossoms, I was beginning to think that maybe I should be topping them. But then, one day last week, there were a few blossoms, then more; finally, last weekend, there were some itty-bitty beans.





Yesterday I deemed them large enough to pick and found these magnificent seven. We put them in the fridge to wait for enough more to make a meal. And today I did a really thorough search and did find enough for a small serving for each of us. I steamed them for a few minutes and they were tender and yummy. If past experience is anything to go by, we should have more than we can use in another couple of weeks.



The Week 4 clue in the Burger Queen Mystery Quilt was published yesterday. This time it's 3" blocks - lots of them! I have been reading one of Judy Martin's scrap quilt books and she uses her bias square ruler to make half-square triangles. I bought one years ago but have never actually used it for a quilt, just played around with it a little. So I decided to try it to make all these 1.5" hst's. I don't think it saves any time but it does make them easier to handle. The easiest thing would be to use the Easy Angle ruler and sew the triangles together but I don't think my elderly hands could manage such tiny pieces. I probably should learn to paper piece!

No comments: