Thursday, July 17, 2008

More Apricot Content




This is an Apricot Upside-Down cake. It was supposed to be made in a cast iron skillet but none of my cast iron has been used in such a long time that it all needs to be cleaned up and seasoned again. So I used my square Pampered Chef dish and inverted it onto a small cookie sheet when it was done. Worked very well and we had it for dessert tonight. Really good! I used Blenheims from our own tree. We still have quite a few that are not yet ripe, so we'll probably be eating them for at least another week. Meanwhile, the older apricot tree now has some ripe fruit. I'm not sure what variety it is, possibly Moorpark. But the fruit is quite large, even though we didn't do any thinning. Very tasty as well, but of course not as good as the Blenheims.

I picked more lettuce a couple of days ago. We only planted about 2 square feet and we are getting more than we can use. The Arugula has started flowering but the leaves are still edible. I usually throw in a few Basil and spinach leaves for variety. After I wash them, I store them in a plastic box in the fridge and they keep fresh for several days. We always have clean greens for salads and sandwiches. I haven't tried using the Arugula flowers yet but I hear they are delicious on salads.


The grandcats stayed with us last weekend while their family vacationed in Napa. Luke quickly found a nest in my fabric shelves. He was so careful - didn't disturb anything, didn't even shed on the fabric. What a great cat! Meanwhile his brother Duke disappeared under the bed in the sewing room. He surfaced occasionally to hiss at us and presumably to eat and use the catbox, although we never saw him actually do either.

I've been working on Clue 3 of the Burger Queen Mystery quilt. This week it's 6" blocks, thirteen of them, so it's taking a while. At the same time, I'm still sewing four-patches and split 9-patches for the Orange Crush Mystery Quilt. Also working on the Ballerina baby quilt.

No comments: