Friday, January 16, 2009

Bounty from Rainbow Grocery

We spent Tuesday in SF with Mom. We hadn't been to Rainbow Grocery for quite a while and I needed some green lentils, so we packed Mom's wheelchair into the trunk and the three of us headed out for an urban foraging adventure.
Mom started shopping there about 30 years ago when it was near 16th and Mission. She would walk down there and buy all sorts or interesting things. They were the first store I remember that had a lot of items in bulk - every kind of flour you can imagine, spices, teas, coffee, grains, beans, even olive oils and peanut butter.
I'm not sure what I'll do with the red lentils but I'm sure I have some recipes that call for them. The green flageolets are new to me but I'll probably cook the first batch the way I would fix any other beans.
I've been hoarding the farro in my pantry because it's not only rather hard to find, but very pricey when you do find it. This 3.3 lb bag was $11.95. I don't really know if that's a good price but I think it is.


Photo courtesy of margie b who posted it on yelp.com
We had planned to have lunch at the St. Francis Fountain on 24th St but they are closed for remodeling this week; so we went a few doors down to the Roosevelt Tamale Parlor.
When I was in third through sixth grades at St. Peter's school we lived at the top of 24th Street and both these places were on my way home. I wasn't too interested in Mexican food but the St. Francis was a kid magnet with its soda fountain. I rarely carried any money but I almost always slowed down and looked in the door and wished.

No comments: