Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rainy Sunday

After two weeks of above-average temperatures and dry skies, the rains have moved back in. They started Wednesday and have brought us almost two inches so far. This afternoon it really poured for a while, then there was a bit of thunder (didn't see any lightning) and then it was pretty much over. We're supposed to have another day or so of showers, then back to the fine weather.



I've been working sporadically on the Pocket Full of Mysteries Christmas quilts. My feelings are that the lap quilt is just okay but the baby quilt is not a success. I was even thinking about donating it to the animal shelter. Dogs aren't usually particular about color and design, they just want warm and cuddly.
I had both quilts on the design wall when the grandchildren came to visit yesterday and GD2 took one look at them and said, "Oh, Gma, I really love that quilt!" She was looking at the baby quilt and I think it was the elephants that attracted her. She is a real animal-lover.
So I guess I'll hold off on my judgment until they are completely finished. I had planned to donate both to charity but not if they are ugly.


I finished the flannel nightgown for GD1 last week and it has gone home with her. I think it's the first flannel nightgown that she has ever owned. I'm almost finished with the one I am making for GD3 but we haven't seen her, so there's no hurry at this point. I had planned to make the same pattern for GD2, but she was not at all happy when I showed her the fabric - she is one of those people who is always too warm. So she chose a pattern with short sleeves and I'm going to make it in a light cotton knit. I'm making GS a pair of jammies in a cotton knit, so I can work on both together. That will bust another 3 yards of fabric from my stash. Woo hoo!


I made this side dish for tonight's dinner. It was grated sweet potatoes browned in olive oil and garnished with browned butter with sage and garlic. The recipe is here. This one is definitely a keeper! By the way, this is not my photo - I was so anxious to serve this that I didn't even think of getting the camera.

This is a Farro and Butternut squash salad that I made for Friday night's dinner. It was really good but made way too much for the two of us. That's goat cheese sprinkled over the top. I only used half the butternut squash, so I'm looking for a soup recipe that will use up the remainder. I've been in a "clean 0ut the pantry and freezer" mood lately. I really need to keep better track of what I have so that I don't waste so much.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

You were kind to leave a suggestion on dealing with Blogger's picture control. I was all set to try them when it dawned on me they are for a windows based computer. Alas, I am on a Mac. Any clue about how I would do it on a Mac? I'll play with it over the next few days and see if I can duplicate the right click some how. Or, maybe I'll grab the optical mouse and see if that works.

Also, your two quilts are cute. I've been unimpressed with my carousel horse quilt but when I showed it to friends they loved it. Go figure! B.