Monday, February 11, 2008

I May Live After All

Where did I spend our Golden Wedding Anniversary - in my sick bed! Poor L, I'm sure he didn't expect this.
On Wednesday I started a cold, which threatened to become the flu. I know they are not the same virus, but I don't usually have a fever with just a cold. At one point my temp was about 3 degrees above normal. By Friday evening I was feeling a bit better, so L picked up Chinese and I was able to eat some. Big mistake because within half an hour the intestinal problems started and I was in misery until this morning. I had eaten hardly anything Thursday and Friday and, after losing Friday evening's meal, didn't eat anything but a few saltines until dinner last night. I prepared a "refrigerator soup" - that is, all my leftovers plus additions from the pantry as needed. (L had gotten rid of the leftover Chinese food.) I ate only a very small bowl and didn't feel too good afterwards, but I kept it down.
Today I tried to eat small amounts of nutritious foods: soft-boiled egg for breakfast, non-fat yogurt with Kashi nuggets for lunch, a piece of apple for a snack. I cooked a normal dinner tonight and ate some of everything in small amounts, no wine. I've only had a few sips of coffee all day. I'm still feeling nauseated after eating, but I think I'm on the mend. Very weak, though.
One thing that's happened is my carpal tunnel problem has almost disappeared (I noticed that on Thursday evening) and my sore shoulder/arm hardly hurts at all. I sure hope getting better from the cold/tummy troubles doesn't bring the pain back. I haven't taken the fish oil since Thursday morning but plan to start again tomorrow morning if all goes well.
We are scheduled to go back to SF on Friday. Mom is supposed to be able to go home Sunday if the surgeon releases her.

No comments: